Wednesday, March 17, 2010

TOY TIME

Today I thought I’d tell you about a few of my toys. I’ve built up quite a collection. You might even think that I’m spoilt, but some of these toys are hand me down toys from the first Goldie that lived here, and others are birthday and Christmas presents or from special trips to the vet when I was given something new to distract me from chewing my stitches.

All my toys have names, because when its play time my humans tell me which one to fetch and we then get to play with that one. Mum even has a special toy box for me to keep all my toys in and she swaps around what I get to play with and she leaves toys out for me to play with when I am home alone.

BONES. One of my first toys was this red bone.

 
I also have lots of white bones around the house and garden that I can really chew on without breaking them up into bits. When I was little and went to chew on anything my humans would say "No" and put one of these white bones in my mouth (or my soft rope toy below) for me to chew. This seems to have worked because, apart from shredding a bits of paper that I found at my eye level (paper is a toy - right?), I’ve never chewed any furniture, clothing, shoes or other things inside things since I have lived with them – only my toys and my bone.

After I have my dinner at night I often chew on my white bone and the plastic roughs up to clean my teeth. I can even get mum or dad to hold it for me if I take it to them!




Then there are the toys I CHEW, TUG AND FETCH like this rope that I got for my very first Christmas. I've actually destroyed quite a few of these ropes, but you get the picture and when I shred them so there are no knots left they then get me another one and I start again.


I also have one of those long black rubbery cow things that you have heard other dogs woof about.

DIGGING TOYS Well digging isn’t really a toy but I was given my very own sandpit when I was a puppy to try to stop me digging in the garden. Instead I learnt how to dig deeper and faster, but now I know better and I only dig where I am allowed to dig.






BALLS – little balls, big balls, tennis balls, hard balls, soft balls, a real leather football (which wasn’t so round after I got to it!) and my food ball (one of my many favourites as I LOVE FOOD). The biggest ball I got to play with was a Swiss ball (the sort humans use for exercise). They rolled it at me when I was a puppy. I ran away and then barked so much they laughed at me and did it again, but I showed them… I learnt to run at it with my mouth open, even though I can’t open my mouth wide enough to bite it! Now it is back where it belongs – but I keep my eye on it.

I’ve learnt to how to look after my toys while I sleep.  

 Am I sleeping with one eye open
or am I awake with one eye shut?


 
TOYS WITH THINGS INSIDE Like this soft fabric cube I was given when I was a puppy. Is that a beak I see? Sometimes there is food inside, and sometimes I still find toys!




There are also FOOD TOYS with yummy things inside like my Kong (smoked fish and peanut butter are my favourite fillings) and my “Food Ball” (which I roll around the house to get the dry food out).


FETCH TOYS I’ve never really liked chasing tennis balls – I will fetch it once or twice but then I get bored and leave it for my humans to fetch, but this if my floating beach toy and I’ll retrieve it as often as they throw it into the water. I can be a retriever sometimes!





NOISY TOYS These are usually the plastic ones that squeak, but I also have some stuffies that used to make noise.

A new present with paper to shred too!

I’ve never met one a noisy toy that I can’t bite on enough times that it eventually stops squeaking or making noise – but for the first few days all anyone hears is squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak,



squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak…

Then there are the FREE TOYS like my rattles (cardboard tubes with biscuits inside for me to shake and get out)



and my sock (an old long wool sock that mum put a tennis ball inside and then tied two knots) which bounces, and she throws it for me to chase and we play tug, plus I chew the knots on its tail and toss it up into the air! I really like this toy.






I also found my own free toy when I was a puppy. It is their watering can and I still carry it around the garden, and wrestle with it. They throw it and it skids along the concrete drive for me to chase. It must be pretty tough because I haven't managed to chew through it yet and I know my jaw is strong enough to bite through and break up real cow leg bones.



I have my own PADDLING POOL Sometimes before mum goes out she throws a few of my toys into the water and I have to get them out before I can get in the cool water. She thinks this is a game, but I like my pool empty when I paddle!









STUFFIES I also have lots of soft toys like my grey and green ducks, fabric bones, yellow ducklings (big and small), balls, dumbbell stuffies and other ones.

I’ve found some of my stuffies have white fluffy stuff inside which mum gets upset about when she sees it!


“Duckie” (above) is my absolute favourite toy because he’s so soft, he used to squeak at me, and when my humans get home I run to find my Duckie and take him to them for us to play.

Me in the back garden with Duckie,
my Kong, some chew bones and a ball

I carry my duck around the house and garden until he gets all wet and brown. Then I see him fly… yes he actually flies when mum gives him a bath and he closely circles the washing line as it turns around above him. I take “Duckie” on holiday and he’s so soft I can rest my head on him while I sleep.



Well now that you know a bit more about me I’d like to learn about you so here is my question… Out of all YOUR TOYS which is YOUR FAVOURITE TOY and why?
 
Riley


22 comments:

KT and Easton said...

Wow, this is one of my most favoritest post EVER. Riley, you are the KING of toy land. Being the busy puppy that you are, its a darn good thing your Mom keeps your active mind occupied. If left to yer own devices, you could take over the world! Let me think: hmmmmm, the world run by a Golden Retriever....I think we like it. BOL

KT and Lady

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Thanks fur the tour of your toys!

My favourite is my Wubba!
AND
Khousin Merdie loves all of my toys - my Sibe stuffie is probably one of her favourites!

Happy Wednesday!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Inky and Molly said...

Sheesh buddy. Sounds like you got a truck load of toys. Inky chewed EVERYTHING when she was a pup, no matter how many toys the pinkies offered instead of furniture, house fitting and shoes. We also have a gazillion toys but most of them get destroyed instantly, especially the squeeky ones so our toy box is a bit like a coffin...

Heather and Kelly said...

Riley, you are one lucky dog! Those are some fabulous toys.

I would have to say Ellie's favorite fetching toy is a hollow rubber cube--she just can't resist it. For her favorite toy to play with by herself, probably a juice jug filled with kibble. She loves them, and it keeps her occupied for a long time because she usually chews the opening so much it shuts.

I love all the pictures!

The Musketeers said...

BOL! Our favourite is NONE ! As we love all kinds of toys ! Especially making toys from our human belongings ! Ooops, don't tell them I said that :P

The Life of Riley said...

Hi Khyra,

Whats a "Wubba"? That's a toy I've never heard of!

Riley

Jacqueline said...

Riley, you are so adorable with all your toys, you look like you are having so much fun; being spoilt is a good thing because it really just means you're loved!...Calle's favorite toys are a green feather squeaky toy and small balls she chases and carries around in her mouth, Halle loves toy rats and nip! and Sukki loves to play with a feather rattler and mylar balls=she likes toys that make noise...And we all adore Cat Dancer, the list goes on and on!...See, we are spoilt too, Riley, but that just means we're very loved!!...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Maxmom said...

Hey there Riley
Geesh!...you are one lucky (I mean loved!) pup to have all those toys! What an amazing collection! What an amazing collection of photos too! What a beautifully interesting post too!
Which is your favourite?...mmmm...I think that gree watering can! It looks like it can fight back and I know us goldens like a challenge.
Take care, lotsalicks and keep bloggin'!
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Dexter said...

You have a most wonderful assortment of toys and activities for sure. I think I want to come live with you.

Slobbers,
Mango

Clare Mansell said...

Our dogs LOVE their white nylabones, but unfortunately any stuffys get shredded very quickly. Maybe we should start having a toy chest, it might stop the litle dog taking all the toys into the garden...

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

Wow Riley, you sure have lots of toys. Lucky you. Daisy loves her stuffies, especially her lambs, but just about any toy she has is the best toy in the world when she picks it up. She will tell you all about it if you ask. Tucker is not fussy about toys, which is good because Daisy is a major toy-hog and takes away what ever he has.

Tucker and Daisy

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, Riley, you sure have some awesome toys. We especially like your sandpit ... really neat! Since we are kitties, our toys are a little different than yours. But they are pretty fun! Our favorites are the Cat Dancer, catnip mousies, the laser toy and string!

Sheila and Bob said...

Riley; You are the toy King, you have so many and so varied.
Our favorite is antler chews, they last a long time are not messy and just a whole lot of good chewing.

Hamish & Sophie

Anonymous said...

Hi Riley. Gosh you have loads of Most Wonderful toys! My Brudder Ranger had some toys that he had had since he got adopted. But that all changed as soon as I moved in. I am the Mighty Huntress and all toys must be killed...er...deconstructed and desqueakerfied as soon as possible.

My favorite is Khyra's favorite - the Wubba. It's made by the Kong people and it's kinda like your sock with the ball in it, except it squeaks. It takes me a looooong time to deconstruct, I tell ya! It's fun to tug with and chew on and throw and stuffs.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Mack and Mia said...

Riley!

You have a sand pit?!?!?!

That is so freaking pawsome! I gotta get my mom to get me one!

My favorate toy is any noisy, load, and squeeky one! I love making momma crazy, but it doen't work so much anymore like it used to, she said she is immune to it.

Wags and Woofs,
Mack and Mia

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, Riley you are one handsome guy and you need all those toys. I'm so impressed that you only dig where you're allowed. Good boy!!!
Our dogs favorite toys are sticks---since we live near woods (one side of the dog yard is in woods) we clear the tree line for mom and dad.
My favorite picture of you (which was hard to choose) is the "one eye open" picture. And, absolutely, paper is a toy. Our Violet thinks that used tissues are a delicacy.
Really good post.

the booker man said...

hihi riley!
i'm with mack and mia...you have a sandpit?!?!
i would loooooooove to have one of those in my backyard. that is super cool.
my favorite toy would be my cuz. actually, i have 2 of them...a blue elephant and a green froggie. i squeak and squeak and squeak them, and mama and daddy play fetch with me!! yay! :)
thanks for showing us all of your awesome toys!
*woof*
the booker man

Anonymous said...

Hey Riley,
GReat post guy. Jubal is jealous. Around here, all toys are Jubal's. He just lets the rest of play with them occasionally. Homer J, Sophie and Radar are toy shredders so they get the stuff like old tires or concrete wall blocks to play with. A Homer J, Sophie or Radar stuffy is a dead stuffy; i.e. that white stuff that upsets your mom is all over the place. We're gonna try to get dad to make us a sock/tennis ball toy. It should last a day or two.
- TBH&K

1000 Goldens said...

Riley, you've got it just right. This should be a primer to be read by all puppies :)

Sophie Lou said...

Everything is a toy in the Golden world! Sophie likes her babies (stuffies) best.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Hi There ... Just found your blog. Good to meet you. Looking forward to be blog friends. Every toy is truly a Golden Woofs. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Unknown said...

Hi Riley - thanks for the lovely long comment on my blog!

And gosh - no, you're not spoilt at all - ha! ha!

My humans also did the same thing as yours when I was a puppy - if I tried to chew on anything, they always interrupted me and gave me one of my proper chew toys instead and praised me for chewing on it - so I was actually a very good puppy and hardly destroyed anything. In fact the only things I chewed up were cardboard boxes which my humans specially saved up for me - they are may favourite 'free' toy!

I know lots of dogs love them but I'm not actually that into Kongs. I do love my NZ Udder Tug, though, because I love that my humans can throw it really far but also play tug with me and it's soft on my teeth. I do love playing tug but I'm a bit of a wimp and don't like hard things in my mouth - even those rope knot toys!

I love my stuffies but just for carrying around or destuffing - I love pulling out all that white stuff - although I always spit out so my humans aren't that worried - sometiems they collect all the stuffing and push it back inside so I can do it all over again another day! I like to grab a stuffie and prance around with it when my humans come home - or any visitors come.

But I have to say that my favouritist toy is my tennis ball! UNlike you, I am MAD about fetching my tennis ball and would probably keep chasing it until I dropped dead, if my humans didn't stop me (especially now that I'm older and don't have the stamina I used to have!) I get a crazy look in my eyes when my tennis ball comes out and I don't care about anything else around me - other dogs, people, treats...the only thing better than a tennis ball, I think, is a football!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane