Friday, March 5, 2010

WOW – what a paw-some first leap into cyber-space!

When Max and his mom encouraged me to start a blog I never knew this would happen. What they did was a huge surprise and so thoughtful, especially as we are all aware how tired Max is at the moment.

When my mum looked at her computer yesterday she got a shock when she read Max had mentioned us in his 300th post. Then when she looked at my brand new blog (which wasn’t even a day old) she was speechless (which doesn’t happen very often!) as she couldn’t believe that so many of Max’s friends had taken the time to visit and to say hello.

I feel very honoured to have so many of Max’s wonderful cyber-friends visit, and words and barks cannot adequately express our gratitude to Max and his mom for their help as we start to add my paw prints to this wonderful doggie bloggie cyber-world.

To all those that visited my first post thank you for leaving comments. I am still trying to comprehend that so many of you have read it. I now intend to visit your blogs to say hello and learn something about each and every one of you!

Thank you again Max – you really are a special dog and are in all our thoughts at this stage in your life. 

For anyone reading this who hasn't found Max's blog yet please complete the circle and visit his blog at MAX

**************************

Now for a little bit more about me…

BEACH HOLIDAYS I love them. I love the sun, running on the beach, playing in the water, the interesting smells, meeting other dogs and the feel of sand beneath my paws. Luckily my family also like going to the beach, and ever since I was little they have taken me to a beach about 75 minutes drive away.

My first week there was when I was only four months old.  This is me and my mum together on the outside couch.



Then dad introduced me to the water!

I wasn't sure if I liked those wave things...

and getting wet was not a good look!

Sniffing things on the beach and trying to look cute is more my style.

As for the standard of accomodation (after what I did to my first bedroom which you might have seen in my first post) well they took my bed (a cardboard box and soft rug) so I could sleep on the deck, but as usual I flet the need to redecorate and throw my toys about!



Of course my plan worked and they let me inside to have a special rest under their watchful gaze. These beach holidays can be so tiring!

As I got older they kept taking me to this beach, and letting me explore and meet other dogs there as long as I came back whenever they called me.


The beach is approx. 3 km long and looks like this.

(the north end)

(the south end)

Dogs are allowed off-leash before 9am and after 7pm in summer. Soon it will be going into winter in New Zealand, so I can go on this beach anytime of day that I want to.

The more I went to there the more I liked it because I got to run and jump and do new things. I even learnt how to shake all that wet stuff off me,






and to retrieve my floating toy. I know that I am a Golden Retriever but liking the water and retrieving are a skills that didn't come naturally to me, but now no matter how many times or how far they throw this toy into the water for me I race into the waves to retrieve it!
 
I even look happy now when I get out of the water.
 

We went there for a week last December, a weekend in January and a weekend in February and this is where I will be next weekend.

Thank you for reading my blog - I hope you have enjoyed learning about my beach holidays.
 
Bye for now,
Riley

34 comments:

Kea said...

We loved your beach holiday photos, Riley! Wow!

There is a web site called Golden Tales: The Epik Journeys of Abby and Keeper. They are in Alberta, Canada, and while I don't know the people at all, their photography is amazing--their life with their two Goldens. Your mom might enjoy the site: http://www.goldentales.ca/ -- she should check out the photo blog, link at the top left of that page. Just amazing. We think you'd love Abby and Keeper too, Riley!

We can't wait to read all about your next adventures!

Anonymous said...

What a lucky doggy you are!!! Have you ever surfed???

Sheila and Bob said...

Riley; It sure looks like you are having fun, it's still winter here although most of our snow has melted and we are into the 40's today.
Don't be surprised about all your followers & comments, Golden people are all so nice, we are both proud to be Golden's

Hamish & Rescue Sophie

the booker man said...

your beach holidays look way fun! that beach looks amazing, too!
i've never been to the beach, but i'm hoping my mama and daddy will fix that this summer! heehee.
*woof*
the booker man

Heather and Kelly said...

That beach looks like a bunch of fun, Riley! I love all the pictures. Sounds like you live a good life in New Zealand!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Welcome to blogging. I have a Riley too. Riley the greyhound. She looks nothing like you :-).

Jacqueline said...

We loved your beautiful beach pictures, Riley; it looks like an awesome place to visit all the time...and you look so adorable playing in the sand...Tell your Mom our Mom thinks you guys are doing a wonderful job on the blog; we really love it!...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Scout and Freyja said...

Hi there, Riley. Nice to meet you! Max an' his momma sent us over to see what was happening over here at your blog! You sure are a happy and energetic Golden - but aren't we all, hehehe☺

We are looking forward to becoming good friends...

Unknown said...

I wonder which part of NZ you are from Riley & family.....I lived in NZ many many years ago and reading your blog feel like going home...thanks a lot! Looking forward to more photos and story from you and hoping we could be good friends too...cheers!

Deborah said...

I love your holiday pictures. The beach is beautiful! I'm looking forward to following your blog! Any friend of Max's is a friend of ours....(I have ten pets!) Your going to love the blogging world!
Have lots of fun :)
Deborah

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I've nevFUR been to the beach -

Thanks fur sharing your fun with us!

Woo so look like a natural!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

KT and Easton said...

Nothing better than Goldens and water. What a beautiful place. If you don't already have one, invest in a chuck-it. Dad's arm will be glad you did.

cheers,

KT and Lady

1000 Goldens said...

It's nice to meet you Riley, Max sent us. We love your banner photo!

D.K. Wall said...

Isn't the beach awesome? Though we, being Siberians, don't get to be off leash, we do love walking on the beach the couple of times a year that we get there (about a 6 hour drive for us).

Amy & the house of cats said...

Wow what a beautiful beach you have to run and play on! And it was so funny to me you said you were trying to look cute - trust me, you don't have to try very hard because you are super adorable!

meowmeowmans said...

That is a beautiful beach you have there, Riley! We really enjoyed seeing your pictures. Thank you for sharing them with all of us. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Riley,
You need to get a bogey board or a surfboard to haul out to that beautiful beach with you.
- TBH&K

Maxmom said...

Dear Riley
Mom is going all shivery this end, because your blog has the makings of an OUTSTANDING blog!!! - soon to be a blog of note!!!
You are so beautiful! You write so well! You live in the perfect environment and you have a knack of telling your tales to readers who really want to hear them!
It was an absolute pleasure (and I mean it!) to be the one to introduce you to the doggie-blogging world! You are more than capable and I am really looking forward to hearing about your life and your amazing adventures.
My best wishes and lotsoflicks from your friend...
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Cocorue said...

hello again Riley,

we are so glad our dear friend Max introduced you to us and we are VERY happy that so many bloggers responded to Max's request.

you are very lucky as it took us many many posts in July 09 (when we first blogged) to attract our first Real response ( besides from our good friends Tiffany& Nadine who introduced and encouraged us to blog)....you WILL have many many more followers to your interesting blog, Riley

your header with you in action is just GREAAAAT!!!

chikisses
coco

Hi! I'm Sierra-Dog! said...

WOW! Is that what the beach looks like? I have never been to the beach before, so I really enjoyed your pictures. It looks like so much fun!
Have a great weekend! Enjoy the water for me,
Sierra-dog

Mrs. JP said...

Riley, you are the cutest cutie to hit that beach I'm sure. Of course you wanted inside to rest and I'm glad you got your way. The only one of our dogs who has been to the beach is Daisy our oldest German Shepherd. She loved it as well but wasn't the best neighbor. All she wanted to do was make our neighbors share their umbrella with her wet self. They were good sports about sharing. Now that we live in Tennessee all the dogs just play in the yard and chase critters. Have a great weekend.

Joy said...

Welcome to cyber-space! I'm enjoying the photos of your part of the world. Looks like you love the water--great shots!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Oh Riley, you look like you belong at the beach!

Smileys!
Dory

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I have enjoyed reading about your beach trips, it looks like a brilliant place to visit. I especially love the picture of you jumping in the waves..Hugs GJ xx

sprinkles said...

I'm glad you feel so welcomed to the blog world! It took me awhile to feel that way. Any friend of Max's is a friend of mine so when she linked to you, I knew I had to come visit!

NZ looks like a beautiful country! I wish I lived near a beach. My little chihuahuas have never been but I'm sure they'd love it!

the magic sleigh said...

Wooos Riley, although I am a Sibe, I love the beach and water too! Soon it will be summer here and My Mum and dad will take me back to the beach! I loved all of those shots, and look forward to seeing many more~
-Kira The BeaWootiful

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Great pictures!

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

You are SO LUCKY to get to go on regular beach holidays, Riley! I have only been to the beach once and absolutely loved it. I am trying to convince #1 to take me again soon!

Woofs,
Tommy

Dexter said...

Not another doggie who swims in the ocean? I get scared just looking at those photos. I guess you water dogs are better equipped for that kind of action.

Yuh, those cow milk thingies from New Zealand are awesome. We don't have those here. I am sure some little kid would eat one and then the government would ban them for being dangerous.

Slobbers,
Mango

Cocorue said...

hey Riley,

i have an award for you

your new friend
Tiffy

Cinnamon and Mint said...

Hi Riley,

I am glad to find another blog by a doggy in New Zealand! And I love your blog...so beautiful just like yourself!

Love,
Cinnamon

Lacy said...

w00fs, nice to meeteded u, me iz friends wiff Maxdog and his sibfurs...wow, what fun u had on that beach..me has never beed on a beach..

b safe,
~rocky~

Anonymous said...

I dunno, Riley. I've never been to the ocean but it looks kinda skeery. So you be very, very Most Careful when you do your retriever thingie. Okay?

On the other paw, the pictures are beautiful. So I guess it can't be all bad.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Homer said...

Hello Riley!

I'm also a golden retriever. My name is Homer and I'm an international jet setter. Welcome to the world of dog blogging. Hope to see you around the blog!

Love,
Homer