Sunday, July 31, 2011

Water dogs

Sunday afternoon and a mid-winter trip to the beach with my humans and Enzo. A first for him - he's never been in salt water, whereas I've been a salty dog for a long time. 

I try to persuade the young fella that things will be OK - after all he is a Golden Retriever, and we are meant to be water dogs. You'll notice that I've already had one dip into the waves (the smell of the sea air makes me straight to the waves) and also that I get to be off-leash (my humans know I am voice controlled so don't need to be reeled in on a long line anymore, but Enzo is still being trained to come back).


 However the wee pup wants to walk along the beach first.

And then he slowly follows  me...


 until he gets his feet wet. Don't you love the look of disgust on his face?

Another try, and the leap of a golden retriever,


and then this.  Although I'm half out of the frame mum wanted to include it anyway as she says that you will notice the look of absolute joy on my face and the look of something else on Enzo's face.

 It seems Enzo is more interested in sniffing the sand,

 and digging, whereas the water and the big stick I found (in the first photo) are what makes me truly happy.

Eventually he went into the water, but it took him ages. So that was Enzo's first visit to the beach. If you have read any of my earlier posts you will see I love the beach, I love getting wet in rivers and I even love the garden hose.


However, it was a fun afternoon for three of us (and Enzo survived), so my humans are keen to take us both back to the salty water sometime soon to see if I can teach the young pup to swim in time for our New Zealand summer. 

Woofs, 
Riley

12 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

Riley looks like the best teacher ever! How can Enzo resist an example like that? All the pictures are great but my favorite is of Riley smiling as he bounds up the surf and Enzo looking at him with that funny look.

Angus said...

Thank you for your kind comment .

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Golden Hello! WOW! that's PAWsome. You guys are going to have such a Golden Summer FUN. Happy Monday! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

sprinkles said...

I just saw a golden retriever last weekend that was SHAVED! The owner said he did it to keep the dog cooler this summer. Never seen a shaved one before.

That looks like a fun day at the beach. I love that eighth picture down. You both look so happy!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I khan't wait to see if next time Enzo feels difFURently!

I khaught Khousin Harley digging when he was here fur khamp - akhtually, he was diggin around where my tie-out is in the GRound ;-)

What a great shoot of khontrasting pikhs!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Riley, that beach looks very wet. I haven't been to the beach either and I wonder if I will like it. We need some warm weather first. Take care all. No worries, and love, Stella

Shane Kent Louis said...

Hello Riley! I like you profile pics! it makes me fly! LOL..and the other photos it looks good, I like the view! ^_^

Dog Fence

Molly the Airedale said...

Neither one of us are too keen on getting soaked either, Enzo! We bet you'll have a better time of it next time!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Lexi and Jasper the Danes said...

Looks like you were having ab last Riley! :) Some day Enzo will love it too!

My human works with Golden Retrievers for her job and she had one that didn't like that water at all - at the age of two he still would only paddle :p

Licks and lots of slobber,
Lexi and Jasper the Danes

Najia said...

Hi Riley!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your beautiful words for our Milo. We miss him terribly and it helps to know that there are great dogs and folks out there like you all. I am looking forward to reading more of your gorgeous blog. ((hugs))

Maxmom said...

What absolute Golden joy!!!
I am going to have to try and make a plan to get Toby to the beach one day :) I can imagine the endless sources of movement under the sand - dog's digging paradise! :)
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Golden Hello! It's ME again Sugar.
Hope all is well since you have not updating your blog. Anyhow just passing by to say Lots of Golden Thanks for your Barkday Wishes. I had a PAWSOME 10th Barkday! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar